This is a sequel to my previous post.
As a developer, N97 is of high importance. It is the first phone that has both Touch and QWERTY keyboard from Nokia, like the Google’s Android. This opens new avenues for a developer and I am listing a few which struck me once I saw the device.
1. The screen has two orientations and the second landscape type opens great potential for arcade games or even fighter games. Think of the golden games ten years back. Those games can now be adapted to the mobile space. I would not be surprised if Mortal Kombat 4 arrives to the N97. You have a full QWERTY to game with.
2. The gaming D- pad on the left of the screen is once again a beautiful control for gamers. Quite similar to the games on PSP. So, may be PSP’s primitive games can be ported. But you must consider that PSP is a class apart on its own.
3. You have widgets on the main home screen. A new WRT home screen is what they call with pride. Now widgets to be accommodated on the home screen can be designed. One such widget already built inside the N97 is the Accuweather widget.
4. Ovi comes pre-installed on this. So, N97 users can be easily reached.
5. For Flash developers, since the N97 is a S60 5th edition device, the Platform services API can be used be build more powerful and versatile apps.
6. Phones like these would have the ideal key control and UX for a game like FIFA or even NFS Most Wanted. You can control directions with one hand and control keys for the other.
From a game developer perspective I feel like, this device opens up infinite opportunities for us.